At Insight Life Care, we strive to provide the absolute highest quality of care whenever and wherever you need it most. But we are also firm believers in wellness, and in taking steps to ensure you are at your absolute best every single day. We put together a list of some of our favorite tips that are easy to work into any lifestyle and any routine, ensuring you are healthy and happy — even if that means we see you less often!
- Drink more water. Yes, you have probably heard this one before, repeated often by friends, family and doctors. But that’s because it really is one of the best ways to improve your overall health with almost no effort. It impacts your cardiovascular system, your skin, your digestion — there is no part of your body that isn’t improved by getting your daily allotment of water. And while not everyone needs the proverbial eight glasses a day, almost everyone can benefit from simply adding an extra glass or two to their day. If you struggle to meet your water goals, try heating it up with a bit of lemon, or brewing an herbal tea for added flavor. There are also quite a few infusion options on the market today, that will allow you to add fruit essence to your cold water, giving you a refreshing and flavorful beverage.
- Establish a morning routine. Studies have shown that people who take time at the beginning of each day to gather their thoughts and reflect on the day to come before the hustle and bustle starts are more successful and healthier in general. It might seem daunting — how many of us jump right into taking care of the kids, getting ready for work, etc.? — but the good news is that it doesn’t require a lot of time. You don’t need to set your alarm back hours from your usual wake time, even just 10-15 minutes can be beneficial. Create a routine where those precious few moments at the start of the day are just for you, and you will find yourself less stressed and much happier in the long run.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. It doesn’t matter how much “good” food you are eating today, you would benefit from adding another serving or two of fruits and vegetables to your daily meals. Add a piece of fruit to your lunch, or up your portion of vegetables at dinner from one to two. Eating healthier doesn’t have to mean buying expensive foods, adhering to fad diets or depriving yourself of the things you love.
- Get more exercise. This is another one that might seem daunting at first. After all, our culture is designed around being busy and productive, and taking time for yourself can seem like a luxury. But while joining a gym or setting aside an hour several times a week for exercise are certainly great habits to cultivate, you don’t have to start out that way. 15-20 minutes of activity can reap huge benefits. You can walk around your kitchen while you cook dinner instead of standing still or take a walk around the block during your lunch break at work. During commercial breaks on television in the evenings, get up and do stretches or body-weight exercises. Think about your day, and any time when you usually sit idle, see if you can’t find a way to add a bit of movement to the activity. All those minutes add up.
- Do something you love. Mental health is just as crucial as physical health. Find a hobby or activity you love, and try to get time for it every day. Maybe you enjoy reading a good book — turn off the television a half hour early and use that time to read a chapter. Do you enjoy working with your hands? Bring it into the living room and work on it while you spend time with the family. Just because you can’t devote hours a day to something doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing if it leads to you feeling more relaxed and happy.
And these are just a few small changes you can make that will all add up to a healthier, more engaged and less stressful life. What are your favorite “quick tips” for being more healthy and happy? Share them in the comments!
We are advocates for a BETTER life! Call us today to see how we can help BETTER your life (813) 530-8822!